Fort York National Historic Site has the largest number of original War-of-1812 buildings, certainly in Canada, and probably anywhere. These valuable assets are matched by an extensive landscape of defensive features, dating from the War of 1812, and archaeological resources that are associated with continuous use by the British and Canadian armies between 1793 and the First World War (and intermittent use until the end of the Second World War). The fort has a large collection of archaeologically recovered artifacts, as well as items relating to daily life and military service at the fort inherited or acquired by City of Toronto Museum Services. Most recently, as part of the Fort York Visitor Centre building project, extensive archaeological investigations took place in a part of Garrison Common where the Ordnance and Supply Yard (1868-1935) was formerly located.
Through its fundraising efforts, the Fort York Foundation supports the careful and ongoing efforts by City of Toronto Culture , staff using the best expertise available, to acquire, document, restore and interpret valuable historic assets that help to tell the story of Fort York.